FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warwick 2006

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1286
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Warwick 2006 Reply with quote

I’d never been to the Warwick Arts Centre before, but I was pleasantly surprised. The interior of the hall has an industrial feel to it, but is surprisingly intimate, and the acoustics are marvellous. There were, perhaps, about 900 people in the audience, with quite a few sitting in the seats behind the stage. It is a great testament to Bryn that people will pay to spend a few hours looking at the back of his head.

The Manchester Camerata under Gareth Jones started our evening with the overture from Le nozze di Figaro, which was followed by Bryn with “Non Piu Andrai”, from the same piece. He is looking great. Long days on an Irish golf course seem to have done him a world of good. As always with Bryn, the piece was sung and acted beautifully, causing little squeals of delight from the lady sitting next to me.
(Bryn was wearing his Nehru jacked and a white collarless shirt. The Welsh gold daffodil brooch was there, once again. His hair is just over collar length and swept back. He was very chatty, and managed to tell quite a few stories during the course of the evening. As often as he could during the show he turned to sing a few bars to the people behind him.)
He switched to a more solemn mood for Mozart’s “Io ti lascio, oh cara, addio”. Hardly a dry eye in the house.
Next we had harpist Catrin Finch, looking her elegant self in spite of being obviously many months pregnant. She gave us the Danse Sacree and the Danse Profane by Debussy. Then it was the orchestra’s turn with the Intermezzo from Manon Lescaut by Puccini.
Before we knew what was happening strains of Carmen rang out and Bryn was back with us with “Votre toast”. He tried to get us to join in, but I’m sorry to say that our effort was pretty pathetic, but to be fair we had been taken by surprise. The toreador wasn’t too put out and compensated very nicely for the lack of hwyl from his followers.
It was a complete change of mood when the charismatic bullfighter made way for the pure evil of the master plotter, Iago, in “Credo in un Dio crudel” from Verdi’s Otello. How can such a nice man be so good at being so thoroughly bad?
And then, with the hairs still standing up on the backs of our necks, it was time to shuffle out for the interval.

The second half began with Bryn accompanied by Catrin Finch in one of my great personal favourites, “Bugeilio’r Gwenith Gwyn”. Bryn is always a masterful storyteller, and in this wonderful old song the pain of a man who watches while his love is taken by another was evident in his performance.
Catrin was in a playful mood next, with Debussy’s “Claire de Lune”, followed by “Carnaval de Venice” by Godefroid.
Then Bryn was back, singing two old favourites with gusto, “None But the Lonely Heart”, and “If I Can Help Somebody”. (I can never stop myself thinking that perhaps the second one should be his signature tune.) I don’t think I’ve ever heard the next piece, Morricone’s “Cinema Paradiso”, before, but it was a great pleasure.
Another change of tone, with the orchestra’s spirited playing of the Carousel Waltz, and we were well into the world of the musical. When Bryn started up with “When I take you out tonight with me……” I could well imagine the thoughts of many women in the room. We were taken on the most romantic ride that that old “Surrey with the Fringe on Top” can ever have seen.
Still in the romantic vein, a much larger King Arthur than the late Richard Burton could ever have managed asked us “How to Handle a Woman?”. Of course, he knew all along.
Then the people behind the stage were forced to stand and sing for their supper in the first chorus of “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning”. As Bryn hit the line “the cattle are standing like statues” he pointed over his shoulder. But the last laugh was on those of us at the front of the stage. Our singing of the second chorus was so abysmal that Bryn stopped the show and made us all stand up and do it properly. If he ever needs a second career he’ll make a great choir master!
And that was it. We’d been through the entire program. Where had the time gone? Thankfully Bryn and Catrin were kind enough to come back and give us a few encores. Firstly, Bryn sang “Shanandor” to the people at the back. (Actually, the view of the back of his head isn’t that bad, and the sound was heavenly!) Then Catrin gave us a jolly piece she described as “Kentucky Fried Rag”. The evening was rounded off by Bryn with the beautiful Welsh lullaby “Suo Gan”, although the last thing any of us wanted to do after hearing it was sleep. What a wonderful evening. Thanks Bryn

Sue
chrys
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this lovely and thorough description! It was fun imagining being there so clearly.
Chrys
Ter1408
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue

Thank you for that super report.

I had a phone call from Gillian lunch time who was still on cloud nine!!
She told me all about the lovely friends she had met there but also about the concert itself and as I have already said, was still up in the clouds.

We all knew it would be a success of course but it is so lovely to read your account Sue...thank you again
Vera
Hold in your memory the smile of a friend
And hold in your heart a wish for tomorrow
TER1357
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue!

It was great seeing you again! You sure "hit the nail on the head" with your description of the evening! It was fantastic! Bryn looked so relaxed, fit & well!

Thanks again for the report.

Love, Libby xo Razz
rueroops
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue
We only met very briefly on Saturday evening before the concert - but thanks for such a wonderful report. I almost felt as though I was back there again with that glorious voice ringing in my ears!!
Regards
Gillian Laughing Laughing
TER1286
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fantastic evening, and great to see so many people.
Now we just have to sit back and hope for reports for the next batch of concerts. I really hope we get some
Ter1301
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, Sue. Although I was at Sheffield, not Warwick, it brought it all back to me. We didn't do any better in the sing-along. He only scored us as 6 out of 10 for the first chorus, so we were ordered to our feet, too!
You got an extra encore - we didn't get Suo Gan. However, we did get to go backstage and meet him, so although Suo Gan is one of my favourites, I know which ending I prefer!

Irene
TER1275
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Warwick Concert Reply with quote

Sue, thanks for the review. Wasn't it a fabulous night. For the first time I sat near the stage and could see things close up. That was a real one off., and the whole evening flew by, ending far too quickly. But having said that we shouldn't be greedy. As we had a veritable feast! Bryn was in fantastic voice, and Catrin Finch's total absorption in her music and the harp was a joy to behold. It was a truly emotional performance from both of them. As Sue said Bryn made us all feel a part of things which added to the sheer enjoyment felt by all. The orchestra too was a delight and it was great to see such a mix of ages there.

Sitting behind me were a lovely couple who had come over from Ireland, via Holyhead for the night. They were due to catch the ferry back home at 4am. They had been to Faenol last year and decided that it would be lovely this time to sit in the dry and comfort!! I saw friends I hadn't met in a long while, which was wonderful, delighted in talking to new Bryn followers, and on my way back to the B& B listened again to certain arias from Tutto Mozart.

As an aside, during the evening Bryn made us all laugh with a reference to "Finding Maria" and was delighted that Connie, who is from Pembrokeshire, not far from where we live, won through. Another new star on the horizon, wouldn't that be lovely!

Stefanja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> Performances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: