FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eisteddfod 6 August 2005

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1360
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Eisteddfod 6 August 2005 Reply with quote

Having driven up from Birmingham during the morning my husband, Clive and I spent the afternoon walking around the Maes feeling very foreign on hearing only Welsh spoken around us. The couple at the Golwyg stall (Golwyg is a magazine) tried their best to get us to speak to them in Welsh, Clive being a lot more successful than me as he has at least taken Welsh lessons, mine have only come off the TV, but they were very friendly and encouraging. Luckily we caught one of the few nice days for weather, the sun came out for us and there was very little mud. By 7.35 we started to queue at the Pavilion for that evenings performance of Er Hywlio'r Haul for an 8 o'clock start. By 7.55 we were still waiting but we could at least hear that Bryn was inside as rehearsals were still obviously taking place. Just before 8 the doors all opened and everyone streamed inside and by about 8.15 the performers began to file on stage. First the youth choirs, followed by the band, which I think (I couldn't see them very well) consisted of 2 guitars, drums, clarinet and piano, played by Annette Bryn Parri and finally Mari Wyn Williams and the man himself, Bryn, looking very relaxed in his short jacket and an open necked shirt. The piece opened with a section for the choir and during this Mari looked very nervous but Bryn just sat relaxed, occassionally turning in his seat to watch the choir. The sections which followed alternated between solos, duets (some with the choir, some without) and for the choir alone. Most of these were interspersed with a narration given by an actor (unnamed) but recognised from the television. As already mentioned in a previous posting most of this I didn't understand but gathered the briefest of understanding of the main thread of it being about Llewelyn the last prince of Wales. The last verses seem to say that despite everything that has happened the stars will still come out, the winds will still blow i.e. that nature carries on regardless. (This is only Clive's translation of it and we willingly stand to be corrected). The music is very tuneful and easy to listen to and I just hope that it will be recorded. I'm not sure how much rehearsal the piece got because at one point both Bryn and Mari stood up and nothing happened and everyone looked at each other as if to say what comes next. Bryn then sat down again as it was a solo for Mari. At the end there was a standing ovation and Robat Arwyn, the composer came on, everyone took bows, the singers went off and then the choir started to file out. After about a quarter of them had left they suddenly turned round and came back, to be followed by the singers and Robat Arwyn and we were given an encore of the final section. This was followed by everyone singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Land of my Fathers), which was the most unforgettable experience. The volume of sound and the pride with which it was sung will remain in my memory for a long time. Altogether a really enjoyable evening and it didn't even take us too long to get out of the car park.

Anne Smile
TER1274
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Anne. I really enjoyed reading it. I wish I could hear the piece so, like you , I do hope it gets recorded at some time in the future.

Helen
TER1286
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reveiw. It sounds lovely

I've arrived home from 2 weeks holiday to find an e-mail from S4C telling me that the concert was broadcast at 8.30pm on the 6th.
They only sent the note on the 4th, so I wasn't able to give suitable instrructions. So, despite leaving video tapes with both my mother and my mother in law, I've only managed to get the very last song. (Andrew's mam turned over by accident and was quick thinking enough to turn on the machine.)

Arrrrghh!
Did anyone manage to record it? Could I borrow it??

Sue
TER1364
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,SUE.
I RECORDED CONCERT AND AS LONG AS LUCY HASNT TAPED OVER IT YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO BORROW IT!
I WILL CHECK IT OUT AND CONFIRM.
HOPE YOU HAD GOOD HOLIDAY,
ANGIE. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> Performances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: