FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ring Cycle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1272

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Ring Cycle Reply with quote

Oh, poor Bryn! What a stressful time he must have had over the past few months. It says much for his strength of character that he managed to put on such a fantastic Faenol this year, despite his problems. I'm sure we all wish him and his family well, and with loyal support from his family and friends hope that his life will soon be back on an even keel.
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/opera/article2380441.ece

Vron
chrys
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that Bryn is putting his family first, and send him my strongest positive and supportive vibes. ++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chrys
ElaineM
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Just read the statement; I hope that whatever "affected the time he had put aside" to prepare for it wasn't anything too bad and that he and his family are ok now!

I'm sure he wouldn't pull out of the Ring if he didn't feel he had to.
rueroops
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this news and send all good wishes to Bryn and his family.
Gillian
TER1310
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Press Release Reply with quote

The Royal Opera press release.

http://info.royaloperahouse.org/AfcStyle/DocumentDownload.cfm?DType=DocumentItem&Document=Ring_Castchange.pdf

Best wishes to Bryn and his family.
BrynFlynn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family first; that's the rule! Prayers going out for Bryn and his family!
TER1286
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry for everyone who bought tickets just to see Bryn, but he wouldn't be the man I admire if he hadn't put the family first. Also, I think it is more professional to admit you are underprepared and withdraw than to go ahead regardless and give a substandard performance.
I hope things improve for Bryn and the family very soon!
TER1286
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://arts.independent.co.uk/music/news/article2924446.ece

This attitude makes me really angry! Anything for a 'good' story.
TER1272

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor little Deio Sion!
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0900entertainment/0050artsnews/tm_headline=surprise-as-terfel-pulls-out-of-opera&method=full&objectid=19729964&siteid=50082-name_page.html

No wonder Bryn said it was a stressful family situation.

Vron
ElaineM
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the article in the Independent, oh I knew someone would write that kind of article. Rolling Eyes
I just hate that!!! Let's face it, these things happen, I don't think he can do much about it now.

TER1272 wrote:
Poor little Deio Sion!
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0900entertainment/0050artsnews/tm_headline=surprise-as-terfel-pulls-out-of-opera&method=full&objectid=19729964&siteid=50082-name_page.html

No wonder Bryn said it was a stressful family situation.

Confused
It says "it is believed..." Whatever the reason, as Sue said...

TER1286 wrote:
I'm really sorry for everyone who bought tickets just to see Bryn, but he wouldn't be the man I admire if he hadn't put the family first. Also, I think it is more professional to admit you are underprepared and withdraw than to go ahead regardless and give a substandard performance.

Exactly!
TER1286
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've e-mailed the editor of the Indie:
"I am very annoyed by the tone of Arifa Akbar' s article on Bryn Terfel's decision to pull out of the ROH's production of the Ring Cycle. (http://arts.independent.co.uk/music/news/article2924446.ece)
The paragraph that ran "It was not, however, the first time the singer has withdrawn from an ROH production. He pulled out of one performance in April 2000 because of a bad back, and changed his mind about appearing in another – this time not for the ROH – when his wife was about to give birth to their third child." was particularly irritating. It implies that Mr Terfel will cancel at the drop of a hat. He has, in fact, suffered from serious back problems that have led to surgery and his being incapacitated for lengthy periods. I am not privileged to know the details of Mrs Terfel's pregnancies, but regardless of any complications she may have suffered, surely it isn't unreasonable for a father to be present at the birth of his child? Mr Terfel is a true professional and will have done his best to fulfil his contract. He has been honest enough to admit that a family crisis has led to his being less prepared for the piece than is required. A lesser man would have carried on regardless and given a substandard performance.
I'm sure he knows very well what his appearances mean to his many fans. His true fans know, however, that his family is the most important thing to him. Although they will be very disappointed that he will not perform I'm sure that they will be extremely sympathetic and support his brave decision, unlike your reporter who seems to prefer to sensationalise in the interests of a 'good' story."

Won't do any good, but makes me feel a bit better!
rueroops
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Sue! We all agree with you!
Gillian Laughing
Ter1401
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more, Sue, and it makes me feel a bit better, too!

As someone who has been lucky enough to get tickets for The Ring, I fully support Bryn's decision not to appear if he doesn't feel ready. He knows better than anybody what it has cost him to withdraw, and people (in the Press) should appreciate his honesty and his courage.

I shall now look forward even more to Falstaff in March . . .

Marion Wink
ElaineM
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up for Sue's letter!

Ter1401 wrote:
I shall now look forward even more to Falstaff in March . . .
Marion Wink

You have a point Wink
I was looking forward to the Ring too; today I thought, since I had sold a few organs to buy the tickets for the Cycle, that I could buy them back!
But I found I can live perfectly well without them, so I might sell the Ring tickets and uhm...I guess New York in Autumn isn't a bad idea for a trip...
BELS
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Ring Cycle Reply with quote

Wotan is an emotionally draining role and I can see how Bryn made the right decision , not to do it.

For all parents amongst us, we can understand the demands that children have on us both physically and emotionally, whatever their ages - have been there, done it and acquired many t-shirts!!

Best wishes to Bryn and his family.

Helen H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: