FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Norman Lebrecht writes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1310
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Norman Lebrecht writes Reply with quote

Why Bryn walked out of Wagner’s Ring by Norman Lebrecht.

“Bearish, bumptious and bell-like in his verbal clarity, he is a commanding presence in stage, the pivot around which a whole production revolves. Backstage, he is regarded as a hard-working colleague, no star treatment required, a good trouper.”
He does not support Bryn’s decision, but this article is more balanced than most written by English critics.

http://www.scena.org/columns/lebrecht/070912-NL-Bryn.html
marilyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: A reply to Norman from Rafael de Acha Miami FL Reply with quote

Dear Marilyn,

Below please find a copy of my irate email to Norman Lebrecht (which I also c.c.’d you on).) Please pass on to Bryn Terfel my sincerest best wishes along with my respect. I firmly believe that family sometimes must come first, even if you are leading an army (Lebrecht’s hyperbole) which singing the Ring’s Wotan, for Heaven’s sake, is just not! It is job, a gig, and part of the much larger tapestry of a great career at which Bryn Terfel has been hard at work for twenty years.

Rafael de Acha

“…his supreme public duty…Terfel, by quitting the Ring, confirmed the selfishness of stars and the worthlessness of contracts…”

Oh, Norman, what a crock of shit! Your article on Bryn Terfel is mean-spirited, high-handed, and ultimately a waste of yours and everybody else’s time. The guy has the right to cancel one week into his two-month rehearsal period and get on with his life and career. The fact that his little kid broke his pinkie or whatever appendix he did break should not be fodder for your sarcasm. Every passing day you become more bilious and cantankerous. And mean. If you’re good to give, as we say here in the USA, then you should be good to get, too.

For one thing, Covent Garden – which might be in desperate need for stars, as it appears to be the case, should easily turn to another singer for a Ring Wotan, even if there is no other bass-baritone star around. John Tomlinson is a good house bass to step in and save the day. Right now there are three or four world-class Wotans singing all and any portions of the Ring here in America. Celebrate that and leave Bryn Terfel alone.

I have read two of your terrific tell-all books on the future of classical music and have enjoyed them more as good guilty-pleasure gossipy reading than as substantial criticism. It appears to me that you know where all the dead bodies of the classical music world lie buried – some of them perhaps placed strategically in various burial grounds by you. It seems to me that, at the center of your music reviewing, there is a huge gap. Some would it call that heart.

Take two aspirins, go to bed, and we all hope that tomorrow you will have a better day.

Rafael de Acha
Miami, FL
TER1315
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any one word in the entire English language that could be more inappropriately used about Bryn, it is selfish. He is one of the most giving, generous and selfless people (let alone 'stars') on the planet. Bryn gives so much of himself and his precious time to other people, most of it totally quietly and modestly, and all of it unpaid. He has made life so much better and happier for thousands of others, particularly children, let's for god's sake allow his own child a little time with his daddy, can't we? : Evil or Very Mad
Ter1408
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I do agree with you Beth. Not one critic has said that it best for Bryn to cancel than feel he has not given his best, through lack of practise, because he spent time with his son who needed him.I thank God that Bryn is as he is...a wonderful singer but above all a wonderful HUMAN.

I do not think for one moment the music world can AFFORD to snub Bryn, well not for too long anyway. He is the finest Bass Baritone I have heard in my almost 83 years.

Vera
Hold in your memory the smile of a friend
And hold in your heart a wish for tomorrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: