FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Siegfried Preview Performance 28.9.2007

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marilyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Siegfried Preview Performance 28.9.2007 Reply with quote

I went to the Royal Opera House on Friday to see the preview of Siegfried. It was my first Siegfried and I really didn't know what to expect just as I hadnít when I saw Das Rheingold and Die Walkure for the first time. I left Cardiff at noon, a breezy and bright day but as I traveled east towards London the weather became progressively worse. The clouds gathered and down came the rain. Doreen despaired as she hadnít brought a rain coat, fortunately I had and there was a spare umbrella in the boot. The journey seemed to be taking forever and then about 8 miles from the end of the motor way we came to a complete halt. The police and ambulances went down the hard shoulder. Oh dear the M4 was now closed and obviously there had been an awful accident. We sat there watching the clock as the performance started at 5pm, hoping that things up ahead were not as bad as it looked. At 3.30pm we started to move slowly, so fingers crossed we might just make it. We were very relieved when we passed the incident to see no serious injury just a very badly damaged car and van. The rain was now falling heavily and that always slows London traffic down. Desperate to find somewhere to park the car we headed for the Royal Festival Hall, parked up and continued on foot across the river to the Royal Opera House, at 4.50pm we were going through the doors to collect our tickets. Exhausted and wet but we had made it. It was a full house not a usual dress rehearsal and a first, we had all had to pay a lot more than the normal £10.00 for our ticket. No photographers in the stalls, so there would be no distraction from the constant click of their cameras. It was strange to sit there, no sweaty palms which are what I usually get before a performance, a first. It was the first time, that I would see a role, without Bryn performing the role for the first time. This led to all sorts of mixed feelings and expectations, a completely blank canvas. I read the synopsis very quickly and we were off. Once the orchestra started you could pick out strains from Das Rheingold, Die Walkure and the new story started to unfold. It was strange to hear the sound of the baritone voice and it wasnít Bryn. But things are all about seizing the moment and storing it all away, so that one day when I see Bryn in the role for the first time I will be able to compare, which will be something completely new for me. Suddenly the stage manager brought the rehearsal to a halt; there was a technical hitch Wotan was not on stage. The stoppage lasted three or four minutes and soon we were off again, not really knowing what had gone wrong. There was a superb ending to act one. Act 2 Mime sung by Gerhard Siegel stole the act with The Woodbird sung by Ailish Tynan coming a close second. Ailish had appeared at Faenol in one of the concerts in the Barn and I had missed her concert, she is certainly a soprano to watch out for in the future. Ailish must certainly have a head for heights as she did her own high wire entrance and summersaults. Doreen and I went backstage to say hello to her in the long interval. Act 3 Powerful stuff and it was wonderful to hear Brunnhilde Lisa Gasteen again. I look forward to seeing the complete Ring, one day.

Marilyn
TER1349
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience of your trip to London, Marilyn. Your review of the opera was very interesting, and your trip down reminded me of experiences I've had getting to performances. My first trip to the Met is an example. The person getting the Amtrak tickets made an error that caused us to leave Washington an hour or so late. There wasa lot of trouble on the tracks. When we finally neared New York the train came to a a complete stop for over an hour, during which time the opera started. By the time we reached New York and got to the Met the intermission had just begun! We found our seats (in the very last row) occupied by two men. They, of course, had assumed we weren't coming. LOL The good news was that we didn't, like you, get caught in the rain!

Better luck with your next trip to London.

Louise
ElaineM
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the review Marilyn!!!
What a journey though...well at least you made it Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> Performances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: