FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A wonderful evening in Amsterdam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astrid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: A wonderful evening in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Yesterday my husband and I were in Amsterdam for Bryns concert.
We had a wonderful evening!
It started with meeting Libby and Neil from Wales, and having a very nice dinner together! Later we also met some Terfelians from Germany.

The Concertgebouw is a beautiful concert building with famous acoustics.
When we sat in our chairs (wonderful places) we saw on the big stage just a piano. It looked so tiny, that we wondered how just one piano and just one singer could fill the entire building with sound.

But that really was not any problem for Bryn and his pianist, Michael Pollock. Every song just came right into the ears and into the heart, making people applaude after every song. Bryn made some humoristic remarks about it.

Between the songs Bryn also told us some little stories. The atmosphere was relaxed and intimate. And his singing, as ever, was marvellous. There is nothing between Bryn and his singing. A gift, a treat, to be there!

The first part of the programme consisted of English songs. The second part we heard Handel, Mozart, Schubert, Faure and traditionals.
The Faure songs were new for me. I liked them very much.

Than came the traditionals 'Loch Lomond', 'Passing by', 'Danny Boy' (the second song specially adressed to the audience that was seated behind his back) and 'Ar hyd y nos'.
Libby was sitting in the fourth row, waving her Welsh flag, and Bryn asked the Welshmen in the audience to help him hum the first part.
I think, that the Dutch audience possesses all his CD's and DVD's, because the humming was all over the hall!
The last song 'Molly Malone' was also no problem for the audience,
invited by Bryn to stand up and sing it together with the maestro!

After the enthousiastic applause there were two 'encores'.
Bryns singing 'If I could help somebody' made my tears come down.
I knew from the article about the concert in Toronto, what might come next. And it came: Bryn singing Don Giovanni's serenade to several ladies in the audience, handing them flowers.

A great singer, a great entertainer, a great man!
A wonderful night!

Astrid
TER1280
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Bryn in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Hi, Astrid,

Thanks so much for your review of Bryn's concert in Amsterdam. When I turned on the computer this morning I was hoping that I would read something about it. It sounds like his program was a lot like his Carnegie Hall recital which was wonderful! I, too, had a tear when he sang "If I Can Help Somebody."

Phyllis Smile
TER1280
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Unforgettable! Reply with quote

Hi!

I belong to an Opera email list...Opera-L. There is a person on the list who lives in Amsterdam...had tickets for Bryn's recital. However, he had a terrible toothache..had to have the tooth removed and did not feel well. He was so disappointed that he didn't get to go to Bryn's recital. He said his friend who went said Bryn was wonderful.....was unforgettable!!!

Phyllis Smile
gregchrisB
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Astrid,

thereīs nothing left to add to your review!!! Gregor and I absolutely loved the recital, my husband canīt stop saying: Oh, that was magic!!!

It was great to meet your husband and you, Libby and Neill for the first time.

Till the next time

Christiane from Germany Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: