FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dutchman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1275
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Dutchman Reply with quote

Stunning. In the dark the long sea-blue curtains billowed like sails in the wind to the orchestra's opening bars. Glimpses of light through the darkness - lighthouses to guide the weary mariner safely home. I found the whole performance mesmerising and visually stunning. For me it evoked the sea and life in all its moods, capricious, seductive, dangerous, deceptive, soul destroying.

Sure others will post their rave reviews but I couldn't take my eyes off the stage. The ghost ship as she glided into the harbour portrayed by a menacing shadow which silently little by little extinguished all light - absorbing all in total darkness gave me goose bumps. Bryn was in his element, as the tortured Dutchman, with his endless longing, searching lifetime after lifetime for salvation - a woman faithful unto death - sacrificing all for love. Anja Kampe as Senta was wonderful. In fact I thought the whole cast was brilliant.

Was it the fact that I come from a sea port and have lost relatives to the sea that gave the performance that extra dimension. I don't know. All I can say was that I was totally engrossed from the word go.

Stefanja
rueroops
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Stefanja,

Lovely, expressive review. Laughing Thanks so much - it really made me feel I was there! Laughing If only!!!!

Regards
Gillian Laughing Laughing
TER1384
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Stefanja,

Thanks for sharing that with us. I saw the production on Saturday and it has certainly stayed in my mind since then. I certainly believe that it is one of the best productions I have seen for a long time. It is such a shame that the seat prices at ROH are so exorbitant. I would have liked to have gone again but I do belive the last night was this evening.

Anne Very Happy
TER1275
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: ROH Seat Prices Reply with quote

I agree. There are other things I'd love to see. A second visit to see Dutchman would also have been fantastic - but?

Stefanja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> Performances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: