FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bryn and Esa-Pekka Salonen in LA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1310
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Bryn and Esa-Pekka Salonen in LA Reply with quote

Esa-Pekka Salonen, the longest-serving Music Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, returns in his new position, Conductor Laureate. His bold, visionary approach established the Philharmonic as one of the world‟s most renowned and accomplished orchestras. Esa-Pekka‟s recognition of the composers of the 20th and 21st centuries and continual advocacy for new music is demonstrated in the programs that will be performed over his two-week visit.
“When trying to imagine my return to the Los Angeles Philharmonic after 18 months I realized much to my surprise how organic and natural the idea felt,” said Esa-Pekka Salonen. “Therefore I decided to avoid a grand gesture (I‟m not very good at that anyway), and simply come back to continue a project spanning already over several decades, now in a different capacity. I also understood how much I miss everybody, the Orchestra, staff and the audience. And the Hall.”
“The two programs I‟ve chosen to conduct reflect this very idea. They don‟t carry any special message relating to my reunion with my colleagues and my long-time hometown. In fact the guiding principle is the same as always: music that excites and moves me, soloists I admire. It‟s that simple.”

PROGRAM information:
November 19 – 21, 2010
Anne Sofie von Otter, mezzo-soprano, “Judith”
Willard White, bass-baritone, “Bluebeard”
TBD video artist
Los Angeles Master Chorale, Grant Gershon, Music Director
LINDBERG, Graffiti (U.S. premiere)
BARTÓK, Bluebeard’s Castle (with video
)

November 26 – 28, 2010
Bryn Terfel, bass-baritone
HINDEMITH, Symphonic Metamorphosis
WAGNER, Selected scenes

http://www.laphil.com/press/press_kits/wdch_pk_2010//laphil-season-release-2010-11.pdf

http://www.laphil.com/pressconference/LAPHIL-Renewal-Brochure-2010-11.pdf

http://www.laphil.com/tickets/calendar.cfm?m=11&yr=2010

http://www.laphil.com/pressconference/

"Salonen's first appearances as conductor laureate after his 17 years as music director, will begin Nov. 20 with the U.S. premiere of Magnus Lindberg's "Graffiti" on a program with Bartók's only opera, "Bluebeard's Castle." The following week Salonen will conduct scenes from Wagner with Welsh baritone Byrn Terfel. This unlikely collaboration came about, Salonen said, when he ran into Terfel at a soccer match in the Welsh capital of Cardiff. Terfel figured Salonen (whose wife, Jane, is Welsh) must be OK and decided then and there they should work together."
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-la-phil17-2010feb17,0,2904365.story

Last edited by TER1310 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
TER1280
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Bryn in LA Reply with quote

Hi, Bjorg,

Thanks for posting about Bryn singing in Los Angeles! So exciting for you all in California!!

Phyllis Smile
chrys
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't live THAT far away, Phyllis! Why not come and see it with us???

Chrys
TER1280
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Bryn in LA Reply with quote

Hi,

Somehow when I read the websites that Bjorg posted, I missed that Bryn is giving a recital with Malcolm Martineau on November 22. I knew that he was singing three times with the LA Philharmonic on November 26, 27, and 28.

We can see Bryn perform four times in California in November. Laughing

COLBURN CELEBRITY SERIES
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Monday, November 22, 2010, at 8 PM
Malcolm Martineau, piano
A luminary in the opera world, the captivating Welshman with the
amazing voice presents an intimate wide-ranging solo recital.

LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC
Walt Disney Concert Hall
Friday, November 26, 2010, at 8 PM
Saturday, November 27, 2010, at 8 PM
Sunday, November 28, 2010, at 2 PM
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
HINDEMITH Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes by Weber
WAGNER Selected Scenes

Phyllis Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: