FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROH Cinema Season 2011/12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1310
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: ROH Cinema Season 2011/12 Reply with quote

Powerful music, a gripping story and a tragic end: Puccini’s ever-popular Tosca performed at the Royal Opera House with a fabulous cast. Among the star singers in this revival are Angela Gheorghiu, Jonas Kaufmann and Bryn Terfel. The Royal Opera Chorus and The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House are under the baton of Antonio Pappano, Music Director of the Royal Opera for a score that includes such great set pieces as the Act I ‘Te Deum’ and the arias ‘Vissi d’arte’ and ‘E lucevan le stelle’. Jonathan Kent’s detailed production draws to the full on the historical backdrop of Rome in 1800, a political world of control and suspicion, beautifully evoked in Paul Brown’s lavish designs. The pageantry of church ritual, the darkness of a brooding study with its hidden torture chamber and the false optimism of the light of a Roman dawn – all throw into relief the love of the beautiful diva Tosca, the idealism of her lover Cavaradossi and the deadly, destructive obsession of the malevolent Chief of Police, Scarpia. Drama, passion and fabulous music – Tosca is one of opera's great nights out.

http://cinema.roh.org.uk/content/tosca-wc-4th-nov

UK
http://cinema.roh.org.uk/now-booking/nearest/uk/23349

Malta
http://cinema.roh.org.uk/now-booking/nearest/mt/23349

Spain
http://cinema.roh.org.uk/now-booking/nearest/es/23349

http://cinema.roh.org.uk/
TER1324
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for theaters in the United States carrying these operas. If you put your location into the gray area at the top, you'll find theaters near you showing the ROH Tosca and/or Don Giovanni from La Scala (with Bryn as Leporello). There are far fewer theaters than there are for the Met simulcasts, but I was lucky enough to find one very close showing Don GIovanni live, and another about an hour away showing Tosca, though on a different date than advertised. It seems most of the theaters are in the Carmike chain, but there are some other venues as well. Good luck!

http://www.operaincinema.com/

Eaviane
TER1291
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one very close to me that is showing the encore of Don Giovanni but not the Tosca. And unfortunately I can't get a ticket yet. But I'll keep trying. It's actually much closer than the theater I go to for the Met HD performances.
Daphne
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 3 cinemas in the whole of the UK. Useless. Crying or Very sad Mad
The only answer is to get the DVD.

Daphne
TER1310
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daphne

The ROH performances will not be screened in Oslo either. According to the cinema press officer an exclusive contract with the Met does don’t permit screening performances of other opera houses.
Daphne
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Tosca Reply with quote

I've just been looking at the newletter from my local independent cinema and they are hoping to show Tosca and the other operas!!! So perhaps I will get to see it on a big screen after all. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Daphne
Daphne
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Tosca Reply with quote

Fabulous film!!
Watched it yesterday at a restored traditional cinema, popcorn free zone, with lots of other enthusiasts.
Beautifully shot with lots of close ups of the singers, some scene setting of ROH and the orchestra.
The audience even clapped at the end!
Bryn was superb, the Te Deum is so much more dramatic than when sung as a concert piece. He was menacing and sadistic, great singing and acting from everyone.
Even my other half enjoyed it.
Highly recommended

Daphne Very Happy
rueroops
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daphne, and all,

Ivan and I have just returned from the Apollo Cinema in Stafford where Tosca was being shown! Laughing Laughing Nothing to add other than it was 'Absolutely Fabulous'! Laughing Laughing

Gillian Laughing Laughing
TER1349
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Tosca Reply with quote

I just watched it at the AFI Silver theater in Silver Spring, Md. The only other place it was available was in Herndon, VA. It was fantastic! Beautiful singing! I don't know if a DVD will ever show up, but I certainly hope so. This same theater is also showing Don Giovanni on December 7, 10, and 31st.

Louise Thomas
olga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere, but here is a nice interview piece on Tosca:
http://www.euronews.net/2011/07/27/all-tosca-s-men/

BTW, at the AFI cinema in Maryland we didn't get to see a trailer for Tosca before the movie start. That's a pity, because I remember seeing it before and it was hilarious (with Pappano talking about the production and some footage of the rehearsal), but I cannot find it now.

Olga
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: