FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 SubscriptionSubscription  TransactionsTransactions  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bryn in Conversation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TER1274
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Bryn in Conversation Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to attend ĎBryn in conversation with Edward Seckersoní last night at the ROH. This was a live interview with Bryn being recorded for broadcast on BBC Radio 3- unfortunately they didnít know when, but said later this year, so scan the schedules!

It was in the little Clore studio, which is really a ballet rehearsal room, but they had tiered bench seats for about 150 members of the audience. It was probably one of the most uncomfortable seating arrangements I have ever experienced but well worth the numb bum to listen to Bryn talking about his career. Edward Seckerson is a very experienced journalist and has interviwed Bryn many times before, so the two clearly have a good rapport and Bryn was very relaxed throughout the proceedings.
He discussed all his main roles and there was a huge amount of detail which I wonít be able to remember, but here are some of the snippets that stick in my mind.

I was most interested to hear Bryn talk about some of the reasons that he is giving up Don Giovanni. He says that he has never found the part all that comfortable, especially the beginning scenes of Act two, and that he often felt he hadnít done it as well as he would have liked to. He is much more comfortable in the role of Leporello which I am glad to say he will continue singing. Throughout the evening we were played extracts from Bryns recordings to illustrate the roles.
On Verdi we had an interesting insight to what it is like to wear all those prosthetics as Falstaff, a run through Verdi roles that he would love to sing- Iago in Otello, but doesnít think he could but Simon Boccanegra is a possibility to consider for the future though.
The year out of opera was discussed and Bryn confirmed that he will be travelling less to the USA to sing opera as it takes him away from the family too much. However, we can expect more song recitals.
Operatically his career is definitely headed towards Wagner. He said he had had many offers to sing Wotan from all over the world after his debut in the role. The only one he mentioned though was the New Met production in 2012.

Edward ended by asking Bryn if any of his boys were showing any inclinations towards a musical career. He said that his eldest is more into sport, middle son is doing well on the drums and the youngest seems to be more of a bard as he goes around quoting Welsh poetry!

A fascinating evening you must look out for the programme when it goes out.

Helen
TER1280
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Bryn interview Reply with quote

Hi, Helen,

Thanks so much for letting us know about attending Bryn's interview. What a wonderful opportunity! I hope that I get a chance to hear it on the radio. As I have said, you all in Great Britain are so lucky to be able to see Bryn in so many different venues.

Did he say why he wouldn't do Iago in "Otello"? Is it because it isn't the right "fit" for his voice? I don't know enough about the role.

Thanks again!

Phyllis Smile
FC
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyllis,

Yes, it was a very interesting evening and it was great to hear Bryn talk in so much detail about the various roles. I've always found it a shame that the tessitura of most Verdi baritone parts means that they're not suited to Bryn's voice. Judging by his wondefully evil Scarpia then I'm sure Bryn would act the part of the villainous Iago quite perfectly but too much of the music is above the stave for a lot of the time - which would probably make it strenuous and uncomfortable to sing and also might risk straining the voice or damage it.

However, we can still hear him sing Iago's aria "Credo in un dio crudel" in concerts but we'll have to use our imagination for the rest Smile

It would be great to hear him as Simon Boccanegra - the tessitura of that role is lower than other Verdi baritone parts. So let's keep our fingers crossed that maybe he will consider singing it in the future. Personally, I'd love to hear him as Boris Godunov, even though it's a bass role and might be a bit low for him in places.

Best wishes

Faye xx
TER1280
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I surely do hope that Bryn in Conversation will be on the Radio. I have listened on the internet both to the "In Tune" program with Bryn and Christine Rice and also the Barbican concert. Loved listening to both of the programs.

Phyllis Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Terfeliaid Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: